Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Meeting

  Class ended and I was on my way to the bus . With one hand I wrapped my jacket tighter around myself as I carried a stack of textbooks with the other. It was 3:57 pm and the bus was going to leave any second. I picked up my pace and speed walked to the door. The driver looked down on me and shut the door as he smiled. I stood there...awkwardly. He opened the door and laughed.

  "That'll be $5.00 ma'am," he said with a serious face.

  "I smiled and shook my head. You'll be lucky if I give you a dollar! You almost left me!"

  "Nah, I wouldn't have left you, I was just messin' with you."

  Still smiling, I shook my head and sat down. He got out of the driver's seat and sat a couple seats from me as he opened his bag of Cheetos.

  "Break time?"

  "For a couple minutes, then it's back to work."

  I studied him as he took a few bites. He's been my driver before, twice. He looked about 30, had a white, friendly smile, dark hair with a little gray, and sunglasses. Wish he'd take those off so I could see his eyes. He seems fit for his age though, looks like he works out.

   "You've been on the bus before haven't you? You don't usually wear glasses right?" The driver asked.

   "Not usually. They're distance glasses, I really don't need them. I just wear 'em when my headaches start up. I'm kind of a mess actually, wind hair and and glasses on, I look better without them...I think." "What about you? You always wear those sunglasses? I don't think I've ever seen you without them."

  "No, you look good with glasses, and your hair looks fine. And you're right, I don't need my sunglasses right now." He takes them off.

  Wow, he's handsome...for an older guy.

  "How old are you?"

  "Guess."

  "30?"

  "Yeah I'm 30," he says with a smile.

  "For real? I guessed it right?"

  "I'm 38 actually. How old are you?"

  "Guess."

  "Hmm, I'm gonna say you're 24?"

  "Yeah I'm  24." I said with a wink. "No, I'm 20."

  "Well break's over". The gentleman then walks back to his seat.

   "I don't know your name, are you even wearing a name tag?"

   "Yep" he covered his name tag and glanced my way "I'm gonna have you guess, what do I look like?"

   "Josh? James?"

  "Donnie. Hmm, you look like a Katie...?"

   I giggled, "Alyona."

  "I don't know if I'll be able to remember that...never heard it before."

  "That's because it's Russian. You can just remember it because I'm all Alone-ah. See? Nobody's sitting by me."

  "Uh, that's a good way to remember it. Ok, I think I got it. Alyona. Hmm, yep, I'll remember that."

   The conversation ended there, for at the next stop, a lady came on board and started talking to MY bus driver. They seemed to know each other and talked of traveling, kids, and relationships. I was looking out the window, but I listened in on their conversation anyway. Turns out, Donnie has two sons, 9 and 3. That's ok, I thought. I love kids. But surely he wouldn't make a move on me, he'll think I'm too young. I just know it.

  I couldn't help and glance his way every now and then. Nah, he'll never go for me...I'm too young.

  I patiently waited for our next encounter. The week went by slowly, as if it would last forever. I daydreamed about him, I doodled his name, and I daydreamed some more.

  Friday finally came. I stood in line to get on the bus and looked through the window. Sure enough, Donnie was the driver! My heartbeat sped up. I focused on my breathing, trying to look relaxed so as not to make it too obvious. I stepped up into the vehicle and smiled. He returned the favor and asked how I was doing. We chatted for a few minutes.

  It was almost Thanksgiving break and school only had a couple weeks left. I waited for him to ask for my number, but he did not. Nor did he the week after. I wished him a Happy Thanksgiving and got off.

  I figured I had nothing to lose, school was going to end and if he rejected me then I wouldn't have to see him anymore...so I looked him up on Facebook. I typed in his first name. Multiple Donnie's popped up. Great. Which one is him? I don't remember if he ever told me his last name. I thought for a few minutes and typed in "Johnson". Two popped up...I clicked on one and realized it actually said "Johnston". Oops, wrong one! I clicked the second one and yippy it was him. I looked him up, feeling like a stalker, and finally after a moment's hesitation, sent him a friend request.

  That evening he not only accepted but sent me a message telling me how it was a surprise, but a good surprise. Little did I know that that was the beginning of a beautiful fairytale...

No comments:

Post a Comment